Student Travel

Students traveling as official representatives of the University or sanctioned student organizations are subject to the same policies and procedures as University faculty and staff. Reimbursement may range from token financial support up to the maximum travel and subsistence allowance applicable to regular official travel.

A Travel Authorization must be completed prior to Travel and approved by the Department Head. It is recommended that the TA is filled out at least two weeks prior to any travel. For travel requiring a hotel or registration paid directly from USC Beaufort to the organization in advance, a TA must be submitted at least three weeks in advance.


Per Student Life guidelines, for all student travel related to a Student Organization (17220 D9XX account) the student group must fundraise half the total cost of the trip.

Group Travel

Students traveling as a group may submit one TA listing all individual’s names and VIP IDs.


Reimbursement for overnight accommodations will NOT be made within 50 miles of the traveler’s official headquarters and/or place of residence. Lodging expenses for students may be paid in advance if a TA is submitted at least three weeks in advance. The traveler is responsible for making hotel arrangements. Reimbursement for hotel stay exceeding $300.00/night will not be made.


  • Less than 20 miles roundtrip
    Travel less than 20 miles roundtrip will not be reimbursed by the University.
  • Greater than 20 miles, but less than 500 miles roundtrip

    Use of a rental vehicle
    The University has a contract with Enterprise which allows employees to rent a vehicle, while Enterprise will bill the University directly for the charges. For student travel, a Faculty or Staff member must rent the vehicle and accompany the group. The Faculty or Staff member must contact Enterprise at (843) 706 -2660 and provide a valid TA number to reserve a vehicle. The traveler must save all fuel receipts and request reimbursement upon completion of the trip.

    Use of a University vehicle
    The University has a limited number of vehicles available for use. For student travel, a Faculty or Staff member must reserve the vehicle and accompany the group. They should contact the Vehicle Manager at (843) 441-7113 to reserve a vehicle. Columbia’s Office of Vehicle Management must first approve anyone wishing to drive a University vehicle. To be eligible, an official copy of your current driving record must be submitted to the Business Office two weeks prior to use of the state vehicle

    Use of a personal vehicle
    For use of a personal vehicle, the traveler may either be reimbursed for fuel costs, or on a mileage-based rate, at the discretion of the department. The maximum mileage reimbursed by USC Beaufort is listed below:
    • Travel between USC Beaufort Campuses - .26 per mile
    • Travel to Columbia - .26 per mile
    • Travel under 500 miles - .52 per mile
  • Greater than 500 miles roundtrip

    For travel exceeding 500 miles roundtrip, the traveler should carefully weigh the cost and time benefit of airfare versus vehicle. If an airline is to be used, the individual may contact Island Travel at (843) 525-0777 and provide a valid TA number to reserve tickets. Island Travel is the only approved travel agency and tickets purchased through other means will only be reimbursed when receipts are provided upon completion of the trip.


State law provides that individuals traveling on the business of the University shall be allowed reimbursement for subsistence expenses incurred and paid. Meals will be reimbursed on time of departure and time of return up to a maximum allowance as follows:


Departure   Time

Return   Time

State   of SC

Out   of State

Before   6:30 AM

After   11:00 AM



Before   11:00 AM

After   1:30 PM



Before   5:15 PM

After   8:30 PM





Registration costs associated with conference attendance must be paid through Travel. For registration to be paid directly to the organization, a TA must be submitted at least three (3) weeks prior to the trip, along with a valid invoice from the organization showing the cost of registration and a TRV made payable to the organization and signed by the traveler. If the traveler is able to pay for registration out of pocket, the individual must submit a receipt for reimbursement upon completion of the trip.

Other Approved Expenses

Other expenses may be reimbursed, such as taxi/limousine service and airport parking fees. Receipts for these charges must be furnished with the completed TRV. These reimbursements are in addition to daily meals and lodging or subsistence amounts. However, conference fees that include meals should have the meal allowance reduced by an appropriate amount.

Please note, the following expenses are non-reimbursable: gratuities, supplies, service fee for using non-approved Travel Agency, copying charges, membership dues.

Changes in Approved Travel Plans

If travel plans are altered from those previously submitted or approved, or the funds need to be increased, an e-mail or memo from the Department Head is required. Once completed, the memo should be forwarded to Abby Moonen in the Business Office. If the travel plans are canceled, likewise notify the Business Office.

Submitting Travel Reimbursement Voucher
Travel Reimbursement Vouchers should be submitted to the Business Office within ten (10) business days following the trip and must be turned in no later than thirty (30) business days following the trip. The TRV needs to be properly filled out and signed by the traveler attesting that the expenses incurred were valid. Transportation, lodging, registration, and parking receipts must accompany the completed form. For additional instructions regarding filling out the form, please click here.