What's Near Campus
Whatever the reason for your visit to the University of South Carolina Beaufort—and no matter how long you stay—you’ll never run out of things to do.
Both picturesque campuses—Bluffton and Beaufort—are situated in the heart of the Lowcountry, where Hilton Head Island, the Atlantic Ocean, and a number of cultural and entertainment options are just a short walk or drive away.
Whether it’s nature’s beauty or socializing with your friends, the Bluffton campus offers visitors numerous opportunities to discover the area.
Local attractions and events include:
- Bluffton Arts & Seafood Festival—A week long event in October offering a myriad of activities celebrating Southern Art and Cuisine.
- Cycling Routes Galore— Pedal your way all over Hilton Head Island.
- Cinemark Bluffton—Local movie theatre located in Bluffton.
- Coastal Discovery Museum—Cultural heritage and natural history museum in Bluffton.
- Ghost tours—Discover Savannah’s darker side with a good sense of humor.
- Golf courses—The Hilton Head Gateway campus boasts dozens of championships golf courses within an hour’s drive.
- Hilton Head Island—12 miles of beaches for surfing, jet skiing, and much more.
- Italian Heritage Festival—Yearly festival held in September.
- MayFest—Discover art, food, music during this annual festival.
- Outside Hilton Head—Kayaking, boating, fishing, paddleboarding, adventures, and more.
- Savannah Sand Gnats Baseball—Minor league baseball team located in Savannah, Ga.
- Savannah Slow Ride—See Savannah while pedaling your way around town.
- Station 300—Local arcade and bowling alley in Bluffton.
- Tanger Factory Outlet Center—More than 90 shops located in Bluffton.
- The Farmers Market of Bluffton—Each Thursday in Historic Bluffton.
- The Filling Station—Eclectic art gallery in Historic Bluffton.
- ZipLine Hilton Head—Zip lines, boat rentals, nature tours, and more.
Local restaurants include:
- Bluffton BBQ—State of Mind Way, Bluffton, S.C.
- British Open Pub—60 Sun City Lane, Okatie, S.C.
- Chin Dynasty China Bistro—108 Buckwalter Parkway, Bluffton, S.C.
- Okatie Ale House—25 William Pope Drive, Oaktie, S.C.
- Saigon Café—1304 Fording Island Road, Bluffton, S.C.
- Sigler’s Rotisserie & Seafood—12 Sheridan Park Circle, Bluffton, S.C.
- Zaxby’s—21 Baylor Brook Drive, Bluffton, S.C.
From the heart of history to a hearty meal on the waterfront, the Beaufort campus gives visitors a true taste of the Lowcountry.
Local attractions events include:
- Arts Uncorked—Discover a creative class for the artistic and not-so-artistic on Hilton Head Island.
- Beaufort Art Association—Local art gallery that supports artists and artisans in the Beaufort community.
- Beaufort Shrimp Festival—Yearly festival held in October.
- Beaufort Water Festival—Yearly festival held in July.
- Crabbing and Fishing— Take part in this southern tradition throughout the sea islands.
- Downtown Beaufort—Take a walk to the downtown shops, where there is a little something for everyone.
- Henry Chambers Waterfront Park—Grab a swing and catch up on your relaxation and reading.
- Higher Ground— Rent a kayak or paddleboard to explore the sea islands.
- Highway 21 Drive-In Theatre—Only drive-in movie theatre in the Lowcountry.
- Hunting Island State Park—Walk the beaches or climb the lighthouse at one of the top 10 beaches in the U.S.
- John Mark Verdier House Museum—Home of the more than 200-year-old home of the successful merchant and planter.
- Penn Center—Beaufort is the site of one of the country’s first schools for freed slaves.
- The Art Café—Paint your own pottery studio.
Local restaurants include:
- 11th Street Dockside—1699 11th Street West, Port Royal, S.C.
- Blackstone’s Café—205 Scott Street, Beaufort, S.C.
- Breakwater Restaurant and Bar—203 Carteret Street, Beaufort, S.C.
- Gullah Grub—877 Sea Island Parkway, St. Helena Island, S.C.
- Plums Restaurant—904 Bay Street, Beaufort, S.C.
- Saltus River Grill—802 Bay Street, Beaufort, S.C.