WELCOME TO DEPARTMENT OF HUMANITIES AND FINE ARTS
The Humanities and Fine Arts Department is a one of nine departments at the University of South Carolina Beaufort (USCB). The mission of the department is to teach, conduct research, and provide services to USCB students and the community in response to academic and professional needs of the region.
The department currently offers baccalaureate degrees in History, Liberal Studies, Spanish (general major and heritage track major), and Studio Art, and minor programs in Art History, French, History, Philosophy, Spanish, and Studio Art. In addition, the department also offers the Pre-Law track through History, two certificates in Spanish, and many of the required general education courses that students must take before they can receive a baccalaureate degree at USCB, as well as the University 101 (course that prepares new students for student life in higher education) and the Chancellor’s University 491 (Leadership in Practice).
The department is working continuously to create more programs that will expand the learning options of students and works hard to enrich the quality of life for area residents of all ages not only through its academic programs but through its active support and sponsorship of continuing education and life-long learning opportunities.
Humanities and Fine Arts Department Degrees
- History (link to http://www.uscb.edu/academics/undergraduate/History/index.php )
- Liberal Studies (link to http://www.uscb.edu/academics/undergraduate/Liberal_Studies/index/index.php )
- Spanish (Link to http://www.uscb.edu/academics/undergraduate/Spanish/index.php )
- Studio Art (Link to http://www.uscb.edu/academics/undergraduate/studio_art/index.php )
Humanities and Fine Arts Department Awards
- Dr. Babet Villena-Alvarez, 2012 Carolina Trustee Professorship by the USC Board of Trustees
- Dr. Gordon Haist, 2011 Carolina Trustee Professorship by the USC Board of Trustees
- Dr. Babet Villena-Alvarez, 2010 South Carolina Governor’s Professor of the Year
Department Chair, Dr. Babet Villena-Alvarez, Jivillen@uscb.edu
Grayson Faculty House, Phone: 843-521-4152 (Historic Beaufort Campus)
Administrative Assistant, Ms. Myke McCutcheon, email@example.com
1 University Blvd, Phone: 843-208-8230 (Hilton Head Gateway Campus)