Welcome to the Financial Aid Office at the University of South Carolina Beaufort
IMPORTANT FINANCIAL AID NEWS
Apply For Financial Aid For The 2016-2017 Academic Year
Students wishing to apply for aid for the 2016-2017 academic year, which starts in the Fall Semester of 2016, must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Financial aid is awarded based on when the FAFSA is received and a student's file is completed. USCB's priority deadline for filing the 2016-2017 FAFSA is March 1st. More information is available.
To reduce possible mistakes and streamline the financial aid application process here are some FAFSA Tips.
Significant Changes Affecting Financial Aid
The Verification Process:
The United States Department of Education (DOE) has made a significant change to the documentationrequirements for applications selected for verification. Verification is a process to confirm the information provided on an applicant's Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
Since most applicants can quickly and easily access IRS data through the Data Retrieval process during FAFSA filing, the government no longer considers it reasonable for an institution to accept anything less reliable than direct IRS supplied evidence for verification of income data. Therefore, if an applicant selected for verification has not successfully transferred information from the IRS, or one who did transfer the information but then changed it, DOE expects the institution to require the applicant/parent, to provide an official 2015 IRS Tax Transcript (schools can no longer accept personal copies of tax returns)
USCB highly recommends the use of the IRS Data Retrieval option during the initial filing or when subsequent corrections are made to your 2016-2017 FAFSA. Read more...IRS Data Retrieval Option
The Pell Grant Program:
Effective Fall 2012, the following changes have be made to the Pell Grant Program:
Pell Grant Duration of Eligibility
A student’s eligibility to receive a Pell Grant has been reduced from 18 full-time semesters or its equivalent to 12 full-time semesters or its equivalent. This provision applies to all Pell Grant eligible students and includes all years of receipt of Pell Grant funding. Thus, the calculation of this total will include previous semesters/quarters at USCB or at any other school, including community colleges, where a Pell Grant was paid.
Auto-Zero EFC Income Threshold
The income threshold for calculating the automatic zero Expected Family Contribution (EFC) was decreased from $30,000 to $24,000 for the 2015-2016 award year.
Maximum Expected Family Contribution (EFC)
The maximum Expected Family Contribution (EFC) for which a student is eligible to receive a Pell Grant will increase from 5198 to 5234 during the 2016-2017 Academic Year. Students with an EFC of 5235 or higher will not be eligible for a Pell Grant for the 2016-17 academic year.
The Federal Student Loan Program:
Effective July 1, 2012, the following changes have been made to the Student Loan Program:
- For all students, Direct Loan Repayment Incentives were eliminated. These incentives provided a means to make loans affordable on the front end and while in repayment. Rebates were provided to reduce the origination fee, meaning the student receives more loan money to use for educational purposes due to fewer upfront fees deducted prior to disbursement. In repayment, students previously qualified for reductions to their interest rate making the overall cost of the loan less expensive.
- Grace Period Interest Subsidy eliminated on subsidized loans during the six month grace period.
- Subsidized Direct Stafford Loans will not accrue interest while enrolled in at least six credit hours (half-time) or more. Unsubsidized Direct Stafford Loans will accrue interest. Both loans are fixed at a 4.29% Interest Rate for the 2015-2016 Academic Year. Students must register for at least six credits or more, in order to receive loan funding.
ACTION REQUIRED TO RECEIVE DIRECT LOANS
- COMPLETE LOAN ENTRANCE COUNSELING
New loan borrowers must complete Entrance Counseling before receiving Direct Loan funds. Visit the StudentLoans.gov Web site immediately to complete Direct Loan Entrance Counseling and avoid delays in receiving your loan funds! If you have received a student loan before, you DO NOT need to do the Entrance Counseling.
- COMPLETE MASTER PROMISSORY NOTE
Visit the StudentLoans.gov Web site immediately to complete a Direct Loan MPN electronically and avoid delays in receiving your loan funds!
- ACCEPT OR DECLINE LOAN(S) ON SELF SERVICE CAROLINA
If you have been awarded a Federal Direct Loan, subsidized and unsubsidized, you can view them and other possible financial aid awards on Self Service Carolina. You must decide if you want to either accept or decline the loans that are offered.
If you want the loan(s) that you were awarded, you must do the following:
Go to Self Service Carolina.
Click on the “Financial Aid” tab.
- Click on “Award”, and then click on “Award for Aid Year”.
- Click on “Accept Award Offer” and follow the instructions. You can either accept or decline each loan individually
by using the drop down menu on this screen. Students also have the option of reducing
his/her loan amounts, before accepting the award. If you decide to take out a reduced
amount after you have accepted the original offer, you must submit a signed statement
or a copy of your “Financial Aid Awards” page with the requested amount to one of
the Financial Aid Offices in Beaufort or Bluffton. Please specify if the changes are
for one or both semesters.
If you do not accept your loans or complete the Entrance Loan Counseling and sign the MPN, they will not be automatically applied to pay your tuition and fees.
Historic Beaufort Campus:
Room 117, Sandstone Building
Hilton Head Gateway Campus:
Student Services Office, Hargray Building
Mailing Address is:
801 Carteret Street, Beaufort, SC 29902
To reach us by e-mail:
Office Hours at both Campuses:
Monday-Friday, 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM
The school code for USC Beaufort is 003450.