Welcome to the Department of Visual Art & Design!
The Department of Visual Art & Design provides students with a focus in studio art practice and theory, supported by art history, within the context of the liberal arts. We offer a B. A. degree in Studio Art, and minors in Studio Art and Art History. Our curriculum offers breadth of experience at the fundamentals level in Studio Arts and Media Arts, encouraging depth of study through upper level classes in students' discipline of choice.
Our Studio Arts (ARTS) classes provide students with a solid foundation in design theory and practice, offering classes in 2D Design, 3D Design, Drawing, Painting, Printmaking, Ceramics, Sculpture Digital Photography, and Graphic Design. Our Media Arts (MART) concentration applies fine arts skills to digital media through experiential learning on real-world projects and internships, with classes in Media Design, Digital Imaging, Digital Animation, Broadcast Design, and Video Game Design.
As part of a liberal arts education at USCB, students are trained for careers as professional artists and become prepared for graduate study through exposure to practice-based research methods. Combining the university experience with intense studio arts practice will help students apply their knowledge in today's changing world, providing the background needed for a successful career in the arts.
Students who plan to major in Studio Art and live on the Beaufort Campus are welcome to apply for the 1795 Scholarship.
The BA in Studio Art Degree objectives:
- Promote students' visual and conceptual development with exposure to a wide range of artistic ideologies, styles, and media
- Introduce artistic diversity in the studio arts practice by integrating both contemporary and historical perspectives in a global context
- Engage students in activities that relate to the professional arts field including internships, guest lecturers, exhibits, curatorial work, and community events
- Establish a learning environment that encourages cooperation and collaboration with other departments, as well as the local community in the region and the state
- Provide students with a diverse choice of media, knowledgeable and experienced faculty, and well equipped facilities to foster technical and creative growth and development
- Provide students with a creative environment to develop problem-solving and perceptual skills that enable them to realize a concept into a finished work of art
Art and design is all around us, and an integral part of every aspect of society.
Graduates of USCB's Studio Art program are prepared to apply their knowledge in a
wide array of career paths:
Exhibiting Artist - Painter, Sculpter, Printmaker, Ceramicist, etc.
Commercial Artist - Graphic Designer, Digital Photographer, Illustrator, etc.
Media Artist – Animator, Visual FX Artist, Broadcast Designer, etc.
Interactive Designer - Video Game Designer, Web & UI Designer, etc.
Arts Educator - College Faculty, K-12 Art Teacher, Museum Presenter, etc.
Other - Art Therapist, Arts Manager, Simulation Artist, etc.
Latest Fine Arts News!
Spring 2020 Semester Events:
- March 3rd: Mary Robinson
- March 30th: 23rd Annual USCB Student Juried Exhibition
- April 20th: Senior Exhibition
For more information about us:
Chris Robinson, M.F.A.
Chair, Visual Art & Design
206 Sea Islands Center
216-A CFA Building