In addition to Federal Pell Grants and Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants, the state of South Carolina has a need-based grant program intended to provide additional financial aid to South Carolina's neediest students.
This is a state funded grant for undergraduates attending public and independent colleges and universities within South Carolina. Recipients may not have previously earned a bachelor's degree. In order to qualify for consideration for a South Carolina Need-Based Grant, a student must meet all of the following minimum requirements:
- Be a needy student as defined by Title IV Federal Student Aid programs for determining eligibility for federal student financial aid. The student must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA);
- Be a legal resident of South Carolina as defined in applicable State statutes governing the determination of residency for tuition and fee purposes;
- Be admitted and enrolled full-time as a undergraduate student, seeking your first undergraduate degree;
- Be of good moral character, having no felony convictions, drug or alcohol convictions, or criminal record during the preceding year defined as 12 months from the date of the start of school;
- Give permission for a background check to be conducted to verify the above;
- Certify that he or she does not owe a refund or repayment on a State Grant, Federal Pell Grant, or a Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant and is not in default on a loan under the Federal Perkins Loan or Federal Stafford Loan programs; and
- Be making satisfactory academic progress as defined in the "Terms and Conditions" provided with your first award notification.
To renew a state grant award, students must maintain an overall 2.0 GPA and complete 24 semester hours during the preceding academic year if they are full-time; 18 semester hours if they are 3/4 time; and 12 semester hours if they are 1/2 time.
Contact the Office of Financial Aid
The school code for USCB: 003450