ProctorU: Live Online Test Proctoring
Our knowledge of what works well in online teaching is growing rapidly and it is easy to feel overwhelmed. Smart Ideas are short videos about the Best Practices of USCB faculty.
Academic Honesty in Online Courses
When considering teaching a fully online course, have you been concerned about keeping students honest (AKA prevent cheating)?
This summer ProctorU was piloted at USCB and chosen as our supported online proctoring system. The specific service we are using is called: ProctorU auto with live launch and pro review. Here's how it works:
Test-takers are guided through the start process by a live proctor who can assist with technical issues. Incidents of questionable integrity that happen during the start process are documented and addressed before an exam starts. The proctor checks every part of a room and workspace being used. If a proctor suspects the use of unpermitted resources during an exam, the proctor will scan the workspace again and resources will be removed in real time. Live proctors are augmented by an artificial intelligence platform that gets smarter with every exam. AI acts as a second set of eyes for the proctor, constantly monitoring behaviors and alerting the proctor to suspicious activity. If an incident occurs within a session, you'll receive documented evidence, a video recording of the test-taker and a screen recording within 24 hours.
Students set up accounts and will be charged for exam proctoring. The cost varies by length of exam. A one-hour exam costs $8. Each addition hour cost $2/hour. We are all concerned about expense to students, that's why It is recommended to only use online test proctoring for high-stake exams.
Staff from ProctorU will be hosting an Instructor Kick Off Event on Friday, September 20th. Faculty can choose to attend the morning (10:30 – 11:30 am) or afternoon (1:30 – 2:30 pm) events.
Recommended Syllabus Verbiage:
ProctorU is an online proctoring service that allows you to take your exam from the comfort of your home. ProctorU's service is available 24/7. You will need a ProctorU account and the ProctorU extension installed for the program to work properly. Creating a ProctorU account is easy. Simply follow the ProctorU tool within your learning management system to start the process. Please make sure that you are using the current version your browser and have downloaded the ProctorU extension available at http://bit.ly/proctoruchrome or https://www.proctoru.com/firefox. In order to use ProctorU you will need the following:
- High-speed internet connection,
- Webcam (internal or external),
- Windows or Mac Operating System,
- Up-to-date Chrome or Firefox browser and extension installed,
- government issued photo ID.
Visit the test taker resource center to learn more!
ProctorU Auto Walkthrough for Test-Takers - This video walkthrough will guide test-takers through the ProctorU Auto startup process so they can be prepared on the day of their exam.
10 Steps for Test-Takers to Get Started with ProctorU - This video outlines what to expect for your ProctorU proctored exam. It includes all the rules and tips to be prepared in advance of test day.
Our Test-Taker Resource Center outlines for test takers how the system works, what to expect, system requirements, and frequently asked questions regarding scheduling, troubleshooting and security/privacy.
- ProctorU: How It Works for Instructors: This PDF describes all of the steps required to create instructor account and schedule exams.
- Exam Set Up Information: This PDF is the required information you need to provide when scheduling an exam.
- ProctorU: How It Works for Test-Takers: This PDF describes all of the steps required to create student account and schedule a session to take a test with the proctor.
- USC's ProctorU Student Preparation Guide: Helpful tips and other information for students.
- USC's Getting Started with ProctorU for Students: This PDF outlines the steps needed to take for a proctored exam.