The Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at the University of South Carolina Beaufort is devoted to providing quality, intellectually stimulating, not-for-credit, educational classes and programs specifically developed for adults who are age 50 and older.
Lifelong learning programs began at the University of South Carolina Beaufort in 1991 and were extremely successful in terms of curriculum and attendace. In the early years, the program was called the Creative Retirement Center and later renamed The Learning Exchange. In 2004, the Osher Foundation approached USCB about becoming a part of the OLLI network and in 2005, it officially became an OLLI program. The program at USCB was awared a $2 million dollar endowment starting in 2007 with the second million awaraded in 2009.
We offer a wide variety of classes—philosophy, history, art, music, current events, political issues, religion, science, literature, languages, and many others. There are over 1,500 members who register for more than 13,500 hours of class time.
We have three Terms;
Fall (September - December)
Spring (January -May)
Benefits of your OLLI membership include:
- Access to special educational OLLI events and trips around the region
- Access to over 400 OLLI courses per year (additional term fee needed)
- Summer classes are free to members
- On-line registration service available for OLLI programs
- Access to the “Community of Scholars” program at USCB’s campus libraries. You are able to check out books at USCB libraries and use the interlibrary loan service.
Discount ticket to the USCB Chamber Music Concert Series held at the USCB Center For the Arts on the Beaufort campus
- Discount fees for Continuing Education courses such as computer & language skills
- Discount meals at the Sand Bar Dining Hall on each of the three campuses
- Participation in the OLLI Lowcountry Community Concert Band which practices weekly
- Free student parking
- Curriculum guides, events calendar, special lecture information, e-newsletter and much more.