History of Life-Long Learning at USCB
Lifelong learning at USCB is more than 24 years old. In 1991, the Creative Retirement Center, later called the Learning eXchange (TLX), was created at USCB to allow people to engage in continuous learning. In July 2005, the lifelong learning program at USCB was notified by the Osher Foundation that USCB was selected to become part of the OLLI network.
Mission: OLLI at USCB is devoted to providing quality, intellectually stimulating, not-for-credit, educational classes and programs specifically developed for adults who are age 50 and older. Any adult who is interested in lifelong learning is welcome to join. There are no educational requirements. Backgrounds may differ, but all participants share a desire to keep intellectually active.
We offer a wide variety of classes—philosophy, history, art, music, current events, political issues, religion, science, literature, languages, and many others. Our classes are very popular. There are over 1,500 members who register for more than 13,500 hours of class time. We have three Terms; Fall (September - December), Winter/Spring (January -May) and a lighter Summer Session (May-June-July).
Benefits of your OLLI membership include:
- Access to special educational OLLI events and trips around the region
- Access to over 400 OLLI courses per year (additional term fee needed)
- Summer classes are free to members
- On-line registration service available for OLLI programs
- Access to the “Community of Scholars” program at USCB’s campus libraries. You are able to check out books at USCB libraries and use the interlibrary loan service.
- Discount tickets to the MET Opera and Chamber Music concerts happening at the Center for the Arts at USCB in Beaufort
- Discount fees for Continuing Education courses such as computer & language skills
- Discount meals at the Sand Bar Dining Hall on each of the three campuses
- Participation in the OLLI Low Country Community Concert Band, which practices weekly
- Free student parking
- Curriculum guides, events calendar, special lecture information, e-newsletter and much more.
OLLI membership $40 per calendar year
There are two ways to take classes at OLLI
UNLIMITED term – $120 per term allows you to take as many classes as you desire during that semester (subject to class seating availability).
PAYGO (Pay As You Go) term – You may elect to sign up on a class-by-class basis. Classes may be single session or multi-session. A class that is one or two sessions will cost $12, and a class that is three or more sessions will cost $20.