Any student requesting academic or housing accommodations must:

  1. meet with a counselor in Counseling and Accessibility Services;
  2. register by completing paperwork; and
  3. provide written documentation of the disability. 

The documentation (see guidelines below) must state a diagnosis, the impact on the student's life, and any recommended accommodations. This documentation should be submitted to the student's counselor at Counseling and Accessibility Services. The counselor and the student will discuss appropriate accommodations based on the documentation and on the requirements of the program or classes in which the student is participating.

Documentation may be provided by a physician or another licensed professional in a field appropriate to the disability. Examples of other licensed professionals include: psychologist, licensed mental health provider, audiologist or speech pathologist. Students may need to sign a release permitting communication between their licensed provider and Accessibility Services to facilitate clarification of any written documentation.

Although an Individual Education Plan (IEP) from high school may provide helpful information, it may not be an accepted source of documentation unless it includes results of recent specified tests and/or a specific diagnosis.

Documentation guidelines for accommodations:

  1. Must be on letterhead, typed, and include the typed name and credentials of the licensed provider;
  2. Must contain the licensed provider's handwritten signature;
  3. Must include the DSM diagnosis/code, date of diagnosis or duration of symptoms. The provider will be familiar with the DSM. 
  4. Must include a detailed description of the effects of the disability on the student. The doctor should provide information on the student's current condition and how this condition interferes with or impacts the ability to participate in the educational process.
  5. If applicable, the provider should include medical information relating to the impact of medication and/or treatment on the student's ability to participate in all aspects (i.e., classroom, extracurricular activities) of the academic environment.
  6. The doctor should include any recommendations for appropriate accommodations within the context of the university environment.