Terms and Conditions

SC Beaufort’s Office of Financial Aid/VA awards financial aid according to federal, state, and institutional policies and regulations. Your indicated aid preference was considered in the awarding process. Because of funding limitations, meeting all of a student’s financial need is usually not possible. Following the philosophy of the U. S. Department of Education, financial aid is awarded to supplement the resources of the student and his/her family. It is their belief that primary responsibility for meeting educational expenses lies with the family. We do not automatically renew financial aid. You must reapply for financial aid each year after October 1st.

USC Beaufort's priority deadline for receipt of the financial aid application, the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), is around March 1st of each year. If we receive your FAFSA information by this date and you promptly respond to requests to complete any other documents or to provide additional information, you will be considered for the best financial aid award package for which you are eligible. A priority deadline for receipt of the FAFSA is necessary because several aid programs for which a student may be considered have limited funding. Applications received and reviewed after the priority deadline will be considered for appropriate available funds remaining.

Financial aid for the 2020 summer sessions requires a separate application. Summer applicants must contact the Financial Aid Office in February to obtain the proper summer form(s). The Summer Financial Aid Application deadline has yet been announced. Financial aid availability for summer school is extremely limited. If you have Federal Direct Loan eligibility for the academic year and you use all of that eligibility in the Fall and Spring semesters, there will be no Direct Loan available to use for summer sessions. If you have Federal Pell Grant eligibility for the academic year, you may have additional Pell Grant available for summer sessions. Complete a USCB Summer Financial Aid Application in order for our office to determine if you are eligible for a summer Pell Grant.

Offer Notification

If you are offered financial aid, we will notify you of your eligibility by sending you an email award notification to your USCB e-mail account. You will be instructed to access Self Service Carolina to view your financial aid award information, which will include the source(s) and amount(s) of the aid. This notice may indicate funds from more than one financial aid program. Your award notification will also indicate any non-University assistance of which we were aware when your award was determined.  Detailed information regarding the types of financial aid that we have included in your award letter and other forms of financial aid can be found  here: Types of Financial Aid and/or in “The Student Guide” published by the U. S. Department of Education which is available in our Office. It is the student's responsibility to read this information and be familiar with the terms and conditions of the financial aid award(s).

Financial Aid Offers

Financial aid offers will only be based on a student’s enrollment status during the official registration period. Should a class or classes be added after this period, financial aid funds may not be awarded to cover the cost of the class or classes.

Your financial aid will be processed based on full-time enrollment for both the Fall and Spring semesters. If you do not plan to enroll full-time, you will be able to notify our office by printing the award notification and indicating on it your enrollment plans, and your awards will be adjusted. Also, you may indicate on the printed award notification if you want to revise or decline part or the entire offer.

You must be enrolled at least half-time (6 or more credit hours) to receive educational loan funds. Limited Federal Pell Grant funds are available for students whose enrollment status is less than half-time, but most students who enroll for fewer than 6 credit hours will not receive financial assistance.

Federal Work Study

On Campus and Community service opportunities are available under Federal Work Study Program. If you indicated in the FAFSA that you are interested in work-study, your application will be reviewed to determine if you are eligible for Federal Work-Study. Information about these opportunities can be found in the Financial Aid/VA Office.

South Carolina Need Based Grant, LIFE Scholarship, Hope Scholarship, and Palmetto Fellows Scholarship

These funds are restricted to residents of the state of South Carolina. Other provisions, such as GPA requirements and others can be found on our website or on the SC Commission on Higher Education’s website: www.che.sc.gov.

Determination of Financial Need

In determining need, the Office of Financial Aid/VA estimates a student's expenses for a 9-month period (Fall and Spring semesters). These estimated expenses include tuition and fees, books, supplies, room and board, transportation and personal expenses. These estimates are called student expense budgets (or the total cost of attendance).

To be considered for federal financial aid, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The information reported by you on this application is used by the U.S. Department of Education to calculate your expected family contribution (EFC). The formula used to calculate your EFC is established by law and is uniformly applied to all aid applicants. This formula analyzes a number of factors to determine what you and your family should be able to contribute toward your educational costs.

To determine your financial need, the total expected family contribution is subtracted from the student expense budget (the total cost of attendance). The remaining figure represents your maximum eligibility for need-based financial assistance and scholarships. Because of limited funding, a student's total aid package is often less than the amount of financial need determined. If the total of your awarded financial aid is less than your need, remaining need may be met through other programs, generally through additional borrowing and/or non-need-based employment.

Any student financial assistance that you receive other than funds awarded by USCB must be reported to the Financial Aid/VA Office. Federal regulations require that all student financial aid resources be taken into account in determining your eligibility for federal aid. This includes the value of any waiver of tuition, fees, housing, meals, etc. Please notify the Financial Aid Office in writing of aid not listed on your award letter. An adjustment in your award package may be necessary. In some cases, the adjustment may include repayment of federal funds. You will be notified of any revisions to your award package.

Cost of Attendance

The cost of attendance (educational cost) stated in your award letter is an estimate of how much money you will spend while attending school this academic year. This figure not only includes tuition and fees, but also an allowance for housing, meals, books, and supplies, transportation, and miscellaneous personal expenses. Your actual cost may be less than this amount. The University bill will only include charges for tuition and fees, and where applicable, meal plan costs and housing. If you believe that you have costs that are appreciably different than those allowed, you may visit our office and speak with a counselor who will evaluate your circumstances.

Listed below are representative student budgets that are based on full-time enrollment for an academic year, fall and spring semesters. Also, non-resident students who receive a qualifying University scholarship receive a reduced tuition amount. For a list of all student financial aid budgets, please click here.

  Resident Non-Resident
Living W/Parents $22,463 $33,509
Living On-Campus $28,738 $39,784
Living Off-Campus $28,437 $39,483

Registration and Schedule Adjustments

Adding a course, changing from credit to audit or audit to credit, changing from one section to another, and changing the number of credits in any variable credit course must be completed by the last day to change course schedule or drop without a grade of ‘W’ being recorded as published in the Master Schedule of Classes. It is the responsibility of the student to complete his/her part of the paperwork and to present the paperwork to the appropriate offices. To be officially enrolled, students must complete the registration process including schedule adjustments and the payment of fees for all classes by the official registration deadline date prescribed in the Master Schedule.

Paying Your Tuition and Fees


Authorization to Pay Tuition and Fees

Recipients of financial aid must provide authorization to permit all sources of financial aid to be used for payment of current university charges. This authorization remains in effect unless you present a written request that it be rescinded to the Bursar’s Office. For more information on paying your fees, go to the USCB Bursar’s Office website.

Pre-registered Students

If you have pre-registered for classes, the Business Office will assign you certain dates for fee payment. Information concerning fee payment dates will accompany your bill. Student's financial aid will automatically be applied to their bill, if they have taken care of all financial aid matters. If you are a part-time student receiving financial aid, you may need to stop by the Financial Aid Office before fee payment. “Pending” financial aid, in most cases, cannot be used to pay your bill. The Financial Aid Office can answer questions about pending aid. You must follow all instructions for bill processing provided by the USCB Bursar’s Office. If your "available" financial aid funds exceed your bill, the excess or overage checks are available approximately 10 business days prior to the start of classes.

Regular Registration

Students participating in regular or late registration who are enrolling full time may pay their tuition by applying their financial aid funds to their bill on SSC. Part-time students receiving financial aid may be required to stop by the Financial Aid Office for disbursement approval before paying their bill.

After Registration

If your financial aid was not available during pre-registration or regular registration due to a late or incomplete application, the Bursar’s Office will notify you by mail/phone when your funds become available. When you receive your e-mail notification regarding your awards, you may also pick up your check from the Bursar’s Office. You must be registered for the required credit hours at the time of disbursement and have completed the fee payment process.

Direct Loan Disbursement

ALL Direct Loan Borrowers are required to complete a new Direct Loan Master Promissory Note. This can be done online using your FAFSA PIN at https://studentaid.gov/

If a Direct Loan is processed for the full academic year (Fall and Spring), half of the loan will be disbursed at the beginning of the Fall semester and the second half will be disbursed at the beginning of the Spring semester. You must also sign your promissory note before loan processing will be completed.

If you are a first year, first time borrower, Entrance Loan Counseling is required prior to disbursement. You may complete this requirement at https://studentaid.gov/. The counseling session takes approximately 30 to 45 minutes. The maximum annual loan limits for Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans are:

  Dependent Students Independent Students
1st year $5,500 $9,500
2nd year $6,500 $10,500
3rd and 4th year $7,500 $12,500

When you are ready to graduate or if you have ceased attending 6 or more hours, you are required to complete Exit Loan Counseling. You may complete this requirement at StudentAid.gov. The counseling session takes approximately 30 to 45 minutes. To view your entire student loan history, please visit the StudentAid.gov website and log in with your FSA ID. You can use FinAid's repayment calculator to determine the estimated amount of your monthly payments online at:  http://www.finaid.org/calculators/loanpayments.phtml

Return of Federal Aid and Refunds and Repayments

Should you register for classes and withdraw before the first day of classes, you must repay all distributed financial aid immediately. Should you withdraw or reduce your course load, you may be eligible to receive a refund. However, most recipients of financial aid do not receive a refund because we credit those funds back to the appropriate financial aid account. A copy of the University’s refund and repayment policy is available upon request. If you withdraw or drop classes during a refund period, we may require that you repay a portion of the student aid funds that you have received. Also, should you stop attending classes and/or receive a grade of ‘F’;  you may be required to repay some of the student aid funds that you received. If you have any questions concerning your course load reduction, you should see a Financial Aid Counselor for advisement prior to changing your status.

A student may not receive financial aid (federal or state) while in default on a federal student loan or while owing a repayment to a federal grant program. Should you have questions concerning course load reduction or increases in course load you should contact the Financial Aid Office for advisement before changing your status.

If you are delinquent on financial obligations to USCB, you cannot register again at this institution, transfer credits to another institution, or graduate until the obligation is met.

Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards

Pursuant to federal regulations, the Financial Aid Office is required to monitor the academic progress of all students applying for federal financial aid. Financial aid funds can be awarded only to students who are making measurable progress toward the completion of degree requirements within a reasonable period of time. It is required that students obtain at least a 2.0 cumulative grade point average by the end of the fourth semester and pass a minimum number of credit hours per academic year depending upon your enrollment status. A copy of the University’s SAP policy is available for review online and is available upon request in the Financial Aid/VA Office.

Extenuating Circumstances

If you think we have overlooked some aspect of your financial situation that would affect our evaluation of your need, you should bring this to the attention of the Financial Aid Office. With proper documentation, we can consider certain unusual and special circumstances. Please click here for more information

Guidelines for Concurrent, Study Abroad and Transient Students

If you receive or have received an award for study at USCB and you plan to enroll at another college or university on a temporary basis, you cannot use the aid awarded by USCB unless all necessary steps to complete a valid consortium/transient agreement are complete. USCB may enter into consortium agreements with other colleges and universities with the USC system as the awarding institution. All courses taken at any other institution must be applicable toward your USCB degree. You must also have written permission from your academic department to take the courses. To use USCB award(s) under this kind of arrangement, you must speak with a financial aid representative and obtain the paperwork necessary to complete the consortium/transient process.

Participation in a Study Abroad Program where fees are paid to USCB allows you to use all of your USCB awarded financial aid (except Federal Work Study) as if you were enrolled at USCB.

Family Education Right and Privacy Act of 1974

The Financial Aid Office ensures the confidentiality of student records according to the Family Education Right and Privacy Act. Your family financial information and the type and amounts of your aid are held in confidence. Information is released only with your written consent. Information will be released to other offices and agencies as may be needed to administer the financial aid programs, such as scholarship donors, services of loans, etc.