Interior Header Image

Frequently Asked Questions

1. How do I report a crime ?
To report crimes on campus call 843-208-8911(Bluffton) 843-812-8186 (Beaufort), 24 hours a day. 

2. Can I get into or stay in a building after hours?
Obtain permission from your professor and have the professor notify the Public Safety Department at 843-208-8911 or 843-812-8186.

3. Where do I get a parking decal?
Students and Faculity may obtain a USCB Parking Decal by using the link  “Parking Decal Request” on the menu on the right side of this page.  

You will be asked to complete a short Parking Registration Form to ensure that you can be reached in case of an emergency.  You will need the following information:

•  Driver’s License
•  Make, Model, and Color of vehicle
•  Tag number

Students and faculty will be issued one decal.  Decals are to be displayed in the rear window.  Public Safety requests that you refrain from backing your vehicle into a parking space.

4. Where do I pay my parking ticket?
Parking tickets are paid in the Business Office at the Beaufort Campus or the Bluffton Campus.  Payments (Do Not Mail Cash) may be mailed to the following address:

University of South Carolina Beaufort
Business Office
One University Blvd
Bluffton, SC 29909

5. How do I appeal a parking ticket?
You may appeal a fine by completing the USC Beaufort Parking Violation Appeal Form and submitting it to the Parking Appeals Committee through the Business Office.  The appeal must include a brief reason for the appeal of the fine.  Fines must be paid within 5 working days of the date of the ticket. 

Parking Appeals Form

6. What if I have car problems?
If you experience car problems call the Public Safety Department 24 hour line at 843-208-8911 or 843-812-8186.  The Public Safety Department staff will be able to assist you by providing jumper cables to start your vehicle.  Towing must be arranged independently.  Public Safety Department personnel WILL NOT unlock vehicles or perform other vehicle work.

7. Is it safe to walk on campus after dark?
Parking lots and walk areas are well lit and emergency call boxes are located around campus.  The Public Safety Department offers security escorts to your vehicle.  Call the 24 hour line at 843-208-8911 or 843-812-8186.

8. What is the Drug policy on campus?

Student Handbook

The University of South Carolina, as a matter of policy, prohibits the unlawful manufacture, distribution, dispensation, possession or use of illegal drugs or controlled substances by University students as set forth in South Carolina Code of Laws, Section 44-53-110 et seq.This policy prohibits possession or sale of drug paraphernalia (such as roach clips, bongs, water pipes, cocaine spoons) as defined in South Carolina Code of Laws, Section 44-53-110 and Section 44-53-391; the non-prescribed use of anabolic steroids as defined in South Carolina Code of Laws, Section 44-53-1510 et seq.; and the distribution or delivery of an imitation (“look alike”) non-controlled substance represented as a controlled substance as defined in South Carolina Code of Laws, Section 44-53-390.

The University must maintain its primary function as a center of learning. At the same time it must be clear that local, state and federal laws apply equally off campus as well as on campus.

The University of South Carolina Beaufort recognizes that drug abuse is one of the major problems confronting our society within the University community. Although the University recognizes the need for providing remedial services, it does not intend to shelter persons who violate state or federal drug or narcotics laws.

University officials will assist and cooperate with law enforcement personnel as they perform their duties in controlling drug abuse. Students convicted of violating state or federal laws are subject to further disciplinary action by the University.

9. What is the Alcohol Policy on campus?

Student Handbook

The policies described below govern the student consumption of beer, wine and distilled spirits in or at any University owned or controlled facility. These policies are based on a concern for the welfare of all members of the University community and are in keeping with the laws of the State of South Carolina which state that the possession, consumption and distribution of alcoholic beverages by persons under the age of 21 is illegal.  

As members of the University community, students are expected to comply with and abide by the policies and guidelines as stated below, as well as the laws of the State of South Carolina. Information on South Carolina Alcohol Beverage Laws is included in this publication. These policies are subject to change to comply with new local, state or federal laws pertaining to the possession and consumption of beer, wine or distilled  spirits.

Distilled spirits.   The serving, consumption or possession of distilled spirits by students under 21 years of age is not permitted at any location on campus.

Beer and wine.   Possession and consumption of beer and wine is limited to those persons 21 years of age or more.

10. What do I do if I am a victim of sexual assault?
In case of rape or sexual offense at any of our campus locations, a student should first contact USC Beaufort Police Department through the 24 hour line at 843-208-8911or 843-812-8186. The Rape Crisis Center of the Lowcountry at 1-800-637-RAPE or the 24 hour Crisis Line for Citizens Opposed to Domestic Abuse (CODA) at 843-770-1070 or toll free at 1-800-868-2632,  are also available for contact.  Military security should be notified on the military bases. In the case of a sex offense, one should preserve as much of the evidence as possible to prove there was a sexual assault.

USC Beaufort provides information and materials on the awareness of rape,  acquaintance rape and sex offenses through the use of special programs, University 101 classes and pamphlets which are available to students. The local Rape Crisis Center  and CODA can be used as a referral agency.

Any student who experiences a sexual offense from anyone associated with the University community should follow the procedures as outlined in the Student Code of Conduct and the Policy for non-academic grievances found elsewhere in this handbook. These sections contain possible sanctions to be taken following an on-campus disciplinary procedure.

An outline of the procedures to follow when a student or organization commits any offense against the rules of student conduct are found in the student organizations section of this handbook.

Also, students should be aware that they can notify the proper law enforcement authorities and that the campus authorities are willing to assist the student in going to the proper authority. They can assist in making a referral to the appropriate agency.

11. How do I know if my classes have been canceled during hazardous weather?
USCB will make every effort to avoid the cancellation of classes due to inclement weather. However, when circumstances make it necessary to cancel classes, WYKZ 98.7 FM radio station will broadcast announcements of class cancellations due to inclement weather.  USCB will have severe weather update messages on this website.

Public Safety Department personnel will work with students living on campus to assist with the safe evacuation of campus facilities. Advanced notice for hurricane evacuation will be given and travel routes identified for students living on campus.  Evacuation alerts will be posted on this site as they are declared by state and local governments.