USCB's Travel for Faculty and Staff

Travel is deemed to be official travel of University faculty and staff while away from the University for the purpose of conducting the business of the University, attending professional meetings, special demonstration meetings and other related meetings. The Business Office is available to assist faculty and staff with travel arrangements and submission of proper documentation.

A traveler on official business must exercise the same care incurring expenses and accomplishing an assignment that a prudent person would exercise if traveling on personal business. Excess cost, circuitous routes, delays, or luxury accommodations unnecessary or unjustified in the performance of a task will not be reimbursed by the University and will become the personal responsibility of the traveler.

Phone: (843) 208-8140; Fax: (843) 208-8015

Frequently Asked Questions

Although each department may impose stricter limits based on the availability of funds, the following rates represent the maximum amount of reimbursement authorized through USC Beaufort is listed on USCB's Travel Rates page

For in-state and out-of-state travel completed in one day, meals will not be reimbursed. Meals for trips that extend overnight will be reimbursed based on the time of departure and time of return. Please refer to the following table:

Time of Departure Time of Return   In State of SC Out of State
Before 6:30 a.m. After 11:00 a.m. Breakfast $ 8.00 $10.00
Before 11:00 a.m. After 1:30 p.m. Lunch $10.00 $15.00
Before 5:15 p.m. After 8:30 p.m. Dinner $17.00 $25.00
Daily Total     $35.00 $50.00
The University has recently implemented Travel Cards at two levels: Department Cards and Individual Cards. Department Cards may be used to pay for airfare and registration costs. Individual Cards may be used to pay for airfare, registration, and hotel costs.  All other costs, including the above listed items that have paid out of pocket, must be be reimbursed after successful completion of the travel. For student travel, certain costs may be payable up front with several weeks advance notice and under certain circumstances. Please contact your department directly if student travel pre-payment is needed.
No. Each individual must fill out a TA for expenses.
Yes. For student travel, one TA may be submitted listing each individual’s name and VIP ID.

52021: Non USC Employee-Consultants, Lecturers, Other – used only for travel associated with a person providing consultation, guest lectures or other services for the University

52022: Student Travel – used for student travel and student field trips

52023: Employment Interview Travel – used only for travel associated with visitation of a potential employee. It should not be used for travel expenses incurred by University personnel in pursuit of prospective employees.

52024: USC Employee Travel Domestic – used for travel associated with (1) professional meetings, conventions or seminars, (2) negotiations on grants, contracts and other legal matters and (3) other travel not specifically covered elsewhere.