Foreign Travel

USC Beaufort recognizes that faculty and staff foreign travel may provide University benefits. However, given the cost associated with travel abroad, the University must require documentation from the traveler that details the purpose and outcomes of foreign travel.

Travel Authorization

A Travel Authorization must be created and approved in PeopleSoft prior to travel dates. It is recommended that the TA is created and submitted at least two weeks prior to any travel. For conference travel requiring a registration paid directly from USC Beaufort to the organization, a TA must be created and submitted at least three weeks in advance.


Lodging expenses for faculty and staff cannot be paid in advance and will be reimbursed upon presentation of an itemized receipt after the trip has been completed. The traveler is responsible for making hotel arrangements and securing their room with a credit card. Reimbursement for hotel stay exceeding $350.00/night will not be made.


It is the traveler's responsibility to make all travel arrangements. USC Beaufort uses Island Travel [(843) 525-0777] for common carrier bookings and will pay for tickets booked as invoiced by the agency. In addition, USC has contracted with this list of travel agencies which will bill us directly. If the traveler prefers to make alternate arrangements for common carrier, the travel costs will not be reimbursed to the traveler until the trip is concluded and proper receipts are submitted with the Travel Reimbursement Voucher.


If receipts are not provided, only the maximum daily rate for meals as established by the Federal Government for travel in foreign areas can be claimed. Note: the rates listed include an amount for incidental charges. This amount cannot be included in the meal reimbursement request. Incidental expenses must be accounted for under "other expenses".

The Foreign per diem rates can be found here. To select the country, first click on "Foreign Per Diem Rates by Location".  Make note of the M&IE rate and return to the main page. Select "Appendix B".  Find the M&IE rate in the table and use the breakfast, lunch, and dinner as listed.

Exchange Rates

For reimbursement of receipts listed in foreign currency, the traveler is required to use a currency converter tool and use as the basis for the exchange rate calculation and enter the amount in USD on the Expense Report. Proper documentation must be included.

Expense Report

Expense Reports are created in PeopleSoft and should be created and submitted within ten (10) business days following the trip and no later than thirty (30) business days. Travelers will be required to attach the Travel and Expense Authorized/Ad Hoc Signature Form to employee travel reports when including Ad Hoc approvals only. A TA is required to be associated with Foreign Travel Expense Reports. Transportation, lodging, registration, conference itinerary and parking receipts must accompany the completed form.