Student Travel

Students traveling as official representatives of the University or sanctioned student organizations are subject to the same policies and procedures as University faculty and staff. Reimbursement may range from token financial support up to the maximum travel and subsistence allowance applicable to regular official travel.   

Travel Authorization

A Travel Authorization must be completed prior to Travel and approved by the Department Head. The TA is required to be filled out and submitted at least two weeks prior to any travel. For travel requiring a hotel or registration paid directly from USC Beaufort to the organization in advance, a TA must be submitted at least three weeks in advance.


Per Student Life guidelines, for all student travel related to a Student Organization (921059 D09XX account) the student group must fund raise half the total cost of the trip.

Group Travel

Students traveling as a group may submit one TA listing all individual’s names and VIP IDs.


Reimbursement for overnight accommodations will NOT be made within 50 miles of the traveler’s official headquarters and/or place of residence. Lodging expenses for students may be paid in advance if a TA is submitted at least three weeks in advance. The traveler is responsible for making hotel arrangements. Reimbursement for hotel stay exceeding $350.00/night will not be made.


  • Less than 20 miles round trip   Travel less than 20 miles round trip will not be reimbursed by the University.                         
  • Greater than 20 miles, but less than 500 miles round trip
    Use of a rental vehicle The University has a contract with Enterprise which allows employees to rent a vehicle, while Enterprise will bill the University directly for the charges. For student travel, a Faculty or Staff member must rent the vehicle and accompany the group. The Faculty or Staff member must contact Enterprise at (843) 208-2333 and provide a valid TA number to reserve a vehicle. The traveler must save all fuel receipts and request reimbursement upon completion of the trip.

    Use of a University vehicle The University has a limited number of vehicles available for use. For student travel, a Faculty or Staff member must reserve the vehicle and accompany the group. The employee should contact Facilities at 843-208-8145 to reserve a vehicle. Columbia’s Office of Vehicle Management must first approve anyone wishing to drive a University vehicle. To be eligible, an official copy of your current driving record must be submitted at least two weeks prior to use of the state vehicle

    Use of a personal vehicle For use of a personal vehicle, the traveler may either be reimbursed for fuel costs, or on a mileage-based rate, at the discretion of the department. The maximum mileage reimbursed by USC Beaufort is listed on USCB's Travel Rates page.
  • Greater than 500 miles round trip
    For travel exceeding 500 miles round trip, the traveler should carefully weigh the cost and time benefit of airfare versus vehicle. If an airline is to be used, the individual may contact Island Travel at (843) 525-0777 and provide a valid TA number to reserve tickets. The list of additional USC contracted travel agencies can be found here. Arrangements made through any of these agencies will be direct billed.


State law provides that individuals traveling on the business of the University shall be allowed reimbursement for subsistence expenses incurred and paid. Meals will not be reimbursed for in-state or out-of-state one day travel. All other meals will be reimbursed on time of departure and time of return up to a maximum allowance as follows: 

Time of Departure Time of Return   In State of SC Out of State
Before 6:30 a.m. After 11:00 a.m. Breakfast $ 8.00 $10.00
Before 11:00 a.m. After 1:30 p.m. Lunch $10.00 $15.00
Before 5:15 p.m. After 8:30 p.m. Dinner $17.00 $25.00
Daily Total     $35.00 $50.00


Registration costs associated with conference attendance should be paid through a Payment Request in PeopleSoft. A W9 form must be on file for the organization and an invoice referencing the TA number should be submitted to your department or Accounts Payable for payment processing.  If the traveler is able to pay for registration out of pocket, the individual must submit a receipt for reimbursement on a TRV upon completion of the trip.

Other Approved Expenses

Other expenses may be reimbursed, such as taxi/limousine service and airport parking fees. Receipts for these charges must be furnished with the completed TRV. These reimbursements are in addition to daily meals and lodging or subsistence amounts. However, conference fees that include meals should have the meal allowance reduced by an appropriate amount.

Please note, the following expenses are non-reimbursable: supplies, service fee for using non-approved Travel Agency, copying charges, membership dues.

Submitting Travel Reimbursement Voucher

Travel Reimbursement Vouchers should be submitted to the Business Office within ten (10) business days following the trip and must be turned in no later than thirty (30) business days following the trip. The TRV needs to be properly filled out and signed by the traveler attesting that the expenses incurred were valid. Transportation, lodging, registration, and parking receipts must accompany the completed form.