About Beaufort College
Through Beaufort College, USCB continues one of the oldest traditions of higher education in the nation. In 1795, Beaufort College was chartered by the South Carolina Legislature and authorized to confer degrees in the liberal arts or sciences "usually conferred in other colleges in Europe and America."
In the early 1800's, Beaufort College was a feeder institution for the South Carolina College (now the University of South Carolina) and the elite colleges in the north such as Harvard, Princeton, Yale and Columbia. Twenty-five students who attended preparatory school at Beaufort College went on to attend Harvard College.
After serving freed slaves after the Civil War, the institution closed for a time. State and university leaders began discussing ways to increase access to university education in the 1950s, and in 1959, the Beaufort College Building welcomed 57 students to the University of South Carolina Beaufort, a two-year campus in the USCB system.
With the support of the community, including Beaufort County Council, faculty, staff, students, the Beaufort-Jasper Higher Education Commission and the Trustees of the College of Beaufort, USCB was approved to seek baccalaureate accreditation in 2002.
Using Beaufort College for the name of the honors program pays tribute to the legacy left by the Beaufort College.
Dr. J. Brent Morris,
"A Legacy of Education in Beaufort County"
Dr. Walter B. Edgar
"Celebrating Higher Education in Beaufort, 1795-2010"