Blackboard is an online learning management system that instructors use to deliver course materials. Your instructor may use Blackboard to post course materials, announcements, important dates, assignments and grades.
Blackboard is used in both traditional face-to-face classes and those taught online. A Blackboard course is automatically created for every university course. However, not all instructors use Blackboard. Your instructor will let you know if they use Blackboard.
- View important announcements
- Access course materials
- Securely submit assignments
- Take online quizzes and exams
- Collaborate with instructors and class participants via discussion forums, wikis and blogs
- Email instructors and class participants
- Network Username and password
- Enrolled in at least one course
- The Blackboard URL is https://blackboard.uscb.edu.
- Log in to Blackboard with your Network Username and password.
- Only courses you are enrolled in or have taken previously are listed in Blackboard.
- Your university email address (i.e. firstname.lastname@example.org) is the default email address in Blackboard. You can change the email address to your preferred email address, e.g. Gmail or Yahoo, etc.
- You can send email to other people in your course from within Blackboard without opening your email program. Emails can be sent to instructors, individuals, groups or all class participants. Emails are sent to and read in your email account; email messages are not retained in Blackboard.
- Maintenance is performed on Blackboard each winter break after graduation and final grades are processed. Blackboard is not available while the maintenance is being performed.
Getting Started with Blackboard
What is Blackboard?
Blackboard is an online course and learning management system available to the entire USCB community. Every course offered at USCB has a Blackboard course generated for it. All instructors of record and registered students have access to Blackboard and their course sites.
Becoming a Blackboard User
All students and instructors are automatically given a Blackboard account. You are also given a University email account (email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org) and this is automatically used as your email address for Blackboard. If you have questions about your USCB email account, you may contact the ITSS Service Desk, (843) 208-8086.
Creating Courses in Blackboard: Every course offered at USCB has a Blackboard course generated for it. USCB departments and organizations may also use Blackboard to share information.
Automatic Population of Courses: All courses will be created in Blackboard using information from the Registrars office prior to the start of the semester. All registered students will be given access to Blackboard and their course sites. Newly added students will be updated on a daily basis. Blackboard course rosters should not be considered official and will not reflect immediate changes.
- Important: Instructors or administrators requesting access to a Blackboard course other than their own must receive permission from the instructor of the course prior to being granted access to the course or any material contained within.
Your Blackboard Username and password are the same as your Network Username and password. For information on your Network Username and password, including how to set or reset your password, please go here.